Pages


me, Saturna Robbie

Sunday 27 January 2013

Lonesome Valley

 I don't quite know why but we seem to have had a bit of a problem in getting a new adventure underway. We have had a couple of false starts and some near misses, so I thought I had better ask the Gang straight out if they wanted to keep me as leader!

So we had our paw circle and  I brought up the topic of my leadership. I am thankful to say that I got a unanimous vote of confidence.  Wow! Now I have to get on with a new adventure...although we all agreed that we must wait for an adventure to find us...no more wandering around in the desert without a plan.

Just when we had almost given up hope and we were tired of playing Scrabble...(Margaret beats us ALL. I think she has a magic Scrabble App that lets her come up with HUGE words every play!) ... I got a very interesting text message on my BlackBerry. The message read:

 'It will be in your best interest to meet me at the San Xavier Mission ruins on the night of the full moon". The text was not signed and the address was just a number followed by some strange symbols!  Who could it be and what did it mean?

We all rushed to the window....it was getting dark...and guess what? It was the night of the full moon! There it was huge and yellow coming up over the mountains and smiling at us.

We hurriedly got back into our paw circle and took a vote. Should we or shouldn't we go to the Mission? Tansy said she would go mad if she had to play another game of Scrabble and would go anywhere. Inka and Blue agreed....they said they hadn't joined the Gang to play games they wanted ADVENTURE! Lacey said she hoped it wasn't going to be scary and could Mom come along! We told her NO Mom could not come along! Hurley said he was ready no matter where it took us. Margaret said we were all sore losers at Scrabble but she was also ready and willing to follow the fickle finger of fate wherever it pointed.

Still it felt a bit scary even though we were excited. We bowed our heads and held paws and hands as we always do before we set off. Margaret led us in Lonesome Valley. I especially like that Gospel hymn because of the part that says Mamma and Daddy love you and Sister does too. And we do have to walk it by ourselves even though we are together, if that makes any sense.


Lonesome Valley (Words and Music by Woody Guthrie)

You gotta walk that lonesome valley,
You gotta walk it by yourself,
Nobody here can walk it for you,
You gotta walk it by yourself.

There's a road that leads to glory
Through a valley far away,
Nobody else can walk it for you,
They can only point the way.

Mamma and daddy loves you dearly,
Sister does and brother, too,
They may beg you to go with them,
But they cannot go for you.

I'm gonna walk that lonesome valley,
I'm gonna walk it by myself,
Don't want to nobody to walk it for me,
I'm gonna walk it by myself.

We walked through the door and out into the moonlit night.

2 comments:

  1. Inka and Blue hope there will be howling at the full moon involved. And Inka wants to remind you that she and Blue are practically invisible in the dark, but that she has a collar with flashing lights that is very fetching, if you catch her drift.

    ReplyDelete