Pages


me, Saturna Robbie

Sunday 2 December 2012

Day Two - God Loves a Terrier!



 Margaret suggested that we start rehearsing our Christmas carols today. We were all in agreement as we need a lot of practice if we are to go out and carol sing in the neighbourhood. 

We were in agreement on The Friendly Beasts. Hurley did the donkey part.....Lacey did the cow, I/Me did the sheep parts and Tansy the dove. We all sang together the first and last verses.


Jesus, our Brother, strong and good,
Was humbly born in a stable rude,
And the friendly beasts around Him stood,
Jesus, our Brother, strong and good.

“I,” said the donkey, shaggy and brown,
“I carried His mother uphill and down,
I carried His mother to Bethlehem town;
I,” said the donkey, shaggy and brown.

“I,” said the cow, all white and red,
“I gave Him my manger for His bed,
I gave Him hay to pillow His head;
I,” said the cow, all white and red.

“I,” said the sheep with curly horn,
“I gave Him my wool for His blanket warm,
He wore my coat on Christmas morn;
I,” said the sheep with curly horn.

“I,” said the dove, from the rafters high,
“I cooed Him to sleep that He should not cry,
We cooed Him to sleep, my mate and I;
I,” said the dove, from the rafters high.

Thus all the beasts, by some good spell,
In the stable dark were glad to tell
Of the gifts they gave Emmanuel,
The gifts they gave Emmanuel.


 I must say we were in fine voice and we did lots of mooing and baaing, hee-hawing and cooing. It was fun.

So, you must be wondering what we were NOT in agreement on? Well....seeing as we had chosen one animal carol I thought we should have two! I wanted the world famous carol, 'God Loves a Terrier'..

God loves a terrier
Yes He does
God loves a terrier
That's because
Small sturdy bright and true
They give their love to you
God didn't miss a stitch,
Be it dog or be it bitch
When he made the Westie merrier
With his cute little 'derrier'
Yes God loves a terrier!"

Margaret insisted that God Loves a Terrier is not a carol. I said if it isn't... it should be...and it will be after we sing it to our audiences. 

We decided to leave it up to you to decide if we should keep it in our repertoire. 

No comments:

Post a Comment